Eurodesk is calling all youth to celebrate peace and unity this Europe Day!
Eurodesk Photo Competition for Youth (ages 13-30)
Europe Day is celebrated on May 9th every year, and it marks the anniversary of the signing of the “Schuman Declaration” in 1950. This ambitious plan was created to ensure long-term peace in post-war Europe, and it is considered the beginning of the European Union that we know today.
To celebrate the values of Europe Day, we are inviting young people to participate in a photography competition organized by Eurodesk Ireland. This is an exciting opportunity to express your creativity and connect with like-minded individuals.
So, get ready to grab your camera and join us in celebrating Europe Day! Read on for all the competition details.
What is Eurodesk?
Eurodesk is a free information service that operates in 36 European countries. They provide information on EU-funded programmes and opportunities for young people to work, study, volunteer and travel in Europe and support young people to access such opportunities.
In Ireland, Eurodesk is administered by Léargas and aims to empower young people and youth organisations to explore possibilities within Europe. Connecting with Eurodesk can help you feel supported and informed about the opportunities available to you.
Interested in learning more?
To find out about opportunities and how to contact the Léargas Eurodesk National Office and its local partners, please visit our website https://eurodesk.ie.
About the Competition
The theme of the competition is Peace and Unity. We’re looking for participants to capture what peace and unity in Europe means to you.
Who can take part
- Young people aged 13-30 who are residents in Ireland.
- For those under the age of 18, youth workers/teachers will need to confirm that parental or guardian consent has been obtained for the young person to enter the competition. You can download consent forms here.
How to enter
Taking part is simple:
- Snap a photo on your mobile phone or camera that captures what ‘Peace and Unity’ in Europe means to you.
- Send your photo and application form to the email address of your local Eurodesk office. View the list and contact details for local Eurodesk offices here.
For young people under the age of 18: parental or guardian consent is mandatory for the young person to enter the competition. Please download the consent form and submit it with your application.
For those who are 18+: by submitting an entry you agree to use of your submission for promotional purposes, including those outside of the competition as the organisers see fit and to your data being processed in line with Léargas Personal Data Policy.
Awards Categories and Prizes
There will be one National winner selected for each age range:
- 13-15 Category
- 16-18 Category
- 19-30 Category
Winners will be able to select a professional camera of their choice to the value of 500 euros.
Criteria and Selection
If you’re in the photography competition, you might be wondering what the judges are looking for. Here are some important things to keep in mind:
- Your photo and description should be related to the theme of “Peace and Unity”.
- Make sure your photo is clear and visible.
- Be creative and express your artistic style.
- Follow the formatting requirements (below).
- Submit your entry before the deadline Sunday, May 28th
When submitting your photo for the competition, it’s important to follow these guidelines:
- Make sure the photo is sent as a JPEG file and that it is no larger than 5MB.
- Basic editing like adding colour, filters, or cropping is allowed as long as it does not change the authenticity of the photo.
- Only submit photos that are your own original work; do not include anything that is taken/copyrighted by someone else or generated using AI.
- Do not include any logos, copyright marks, or visible references on the images.
Remember to have fun and good luck with your entry!
- Entries will be shortlisted at the local level (by the organisation that you submit your photo to)
- Shortlisted photos will be submitted to the Léargas Eurodesk National Office and assessed by a selection committee.
- 3 winners will be selected (1 per each age range: 13-15 / 16-18 / 18-30) and given their prizes.
- Léargas Eurodesk will notify winners by Friday, June 9th and prizes will be distributed by the end of June.
Please note: the judging panel reserves the right to decline to make an award if there are insufficient entries and to disqualify entries that does not meet the competition criteria and formatting requirements.