Rang 3 of Gaelscoil Bheanntraí with Comenius Assistant Francesca Guiso
The Comenius Assistantships programme allows future teachers to spend from 13 to 45 weeks as an assistant in a school abroad. It also supports schools wishing to act as hosts to Comenius Assistants.
A Comenius Assistant can be based in one or more schools, though no more than three, in order to give variety to their work or to meet the particular needs of the schools.
As Comenius Assistants, trainee teachers:
- gain a better understanding of the European dimension to teaching and learning
- enhance their knowledge of foreign languages, other European countries and their education systems
- improve their teaching skills
Schools that host assistants can benefit in the following ways:
- increase the interest amongst pupils in the language and culture of the assistant's home country
- gain assistance in languages other than the assistant's mother tongue or in other subjects
- gain help with the integration of pupils from other countries and in communicating with their families
- support an existing Comenius project in the school
|Funding||Each Assistant receives a grant to contribute to subsistence expenses such as lodging, food and travel as well as the cost of one return journey to the host country and, if relevant, funding towards language, cultural and pedagogical preparation.|
The actual grant amount depends on the country of destination and duration of the Assistantship.